The Cathedral and the Bazaar.

Fare Rideau rideau@nef.ens.fr
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 01:52:00 +0100 (MET)

> [I thought lazy was part of the definition of being a hacker]
One of my mottos is
"laziness is mother of intelligence; the father is unknown".
Perhaps if I knew the father, things would be better off...

> But the Bazaar style approxiamentily says before you really start
> going public with something, you have a working source base. [...]
> This is where tunes fails. It never gets as far as a working source
> base. Considering the amount of traffic I have seen on this list at
> times, if tunes ever had even a part that was a working source base it
> should evolve quickly.

Well, any existing system could be considered a base:
RScheme, GUILE, OCaml, CMUCL, some Forth interpreter, some Microkernel, etc.
The problem is that we do not even have a clear direction, or any
management. I admit I don't personally even have working self-management.
We know the immediate start: scratch. We know the far goal: a rich reflective
system. We have no idea for the way to go, or even the first step.
I don't dare; I'm inhibited.

> As tunes sits now it seems like a great survey project, that I really
> can't participate in because I can't get myself to write worth beans.
> Besides the impression of heading nowhere.

:( :(

-- #f