comments about Brians definition of efficiency (Re: holistic code-generation model)

Jano John Akim Franke j.j.a.franke@t-online.de
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 10:55:06 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: RE01 Rice Brian T. EM2 <BRice@vinson.navy.mil>
To: 'Jano John Akim Franke' <j.j.a.franke@t-online.de>
Cc: 'Tunes' <tunes@tunes.org>
Date: Friday, December 04, 1998 6:15 AM
Subject: RE: comments about Brians definition of efficiency (Re: holistic code-generation model)

>Thanks.  I thinks that the user-to-computer communication time is important,
>but there is a real problem concerning _what_ the user spends time
>communicating, how much information is redundant, the kind of impact that
>the mode of communication has on the user's life, as well as the amount of
>interactivity (i.e. continued discussion) needed between the user and the
>computer for a certain process (say, incremental development).
>
>The question, of course, is that with computer resources up for grabs these
>days for simple reasoning activities, how do we pick a scheme that makes the
>computer fill just the right role in a user's life, by removing redundant
>reasoning activities (habits)?

In both cases you could think of the system/computer (i don't like the word computer so much since it is derived from the machines initial function, to compute. Since then it has done so many other things and in my point of view shall do so much more than that too) as being like one of the users "best friends". You don't have to talk much - even sometimes nothing - to make them understand what you need. That's because they know you, which reduces needed communication since you can assume the rest as standard behavior/knowledge.

As you can't build a system wich knows every user, the system has to be adaptive by learning (nowerdays this seems to be more vice versa). Learning consists of building the links between the sensors and the actors of the system.

So the answer to the question what is redundant may be that: "What the user communicatedto the system before has not to be communicated again, since the system 'learned' it." This mans widening the dynamical part of the system thus reducing the static (hardcoded) one.

If i misunderstood you please tell me and could you please specify the "mode of communication" for me?

What about your "testbed" system. Did you get any further about the data-structures? Instead of wasting time on this issue i tend to use a database (traditional IT) first for initial experiments.

Kun afablaj salutoj
Jano John Akim Franke
Franke & Wedegärtner GbR; Podbielskistr. 239; DE-30655 Hannover
stationary: fon:+49-511-391393; fax-g3:-511-391306
mobile: fon/sms +49-171-9555108; fax --9508548; data --9508556
http://home.t-online.de/home/j.j.a.franke