OS design...

Francois-Rene Rideau fare@tunes.org
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 13:09:12 +0200

On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 01:58:19AM -0700, David Jeske wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 1998 at 08:34:59PM -0700, Ray Dillinger wrote:
> > My point is, let's just not go there, that would be continuing
> > the kind of mistakes that current OS's make by priveling one
> > language (or at least one set of calling conventions) over all
> > others. Instead, let's have some standard method for accessing
> > services that is reasonably language-neutral and easy for a
> > compiler writer (compiling *whatever* language) to cope with.
>
> I've come to the same conclusion. However, for all of the reasons you
> cited in your email I don't thin kit's practical to come up with a
> language neutral way to deal with it.

> I'd much prefer to use a VM which allows extensions for every
> language. That way the language can describe it's needs in it's own
> terms. Sure, it can describe a basic implementation in terms of some
> lowest common demomenator, however, then someone can later go in and
> optimize the LISP case if they so choose.

LISP *is* that VM. That VM *is* LISP.
Add procedures and special forms to extend it when needed.
Of course, the Right Way(TM) to distribute LISP code is a Juice approach
to compressed preparsed syntax tree,
with strippable compressed annotations for identifiers/comments/etc.
Of course, until this compressed format is implemented,
ASCII source code might make do.

> There is a fine line, when doing this, between just distributing
> source, and coming up with a usefully abstract but specific VM
> representation. For many languages/applications, people are not
> comfortable releasing source, thus the need for some compiled form.

See my previous message for solutions (my personal preferred one being
1- FUCK them; but I'm willing to not be too personal here).

> --
> David Jeske (N9LCA) + http://www.chat.net/~jeske/ + jeske@chat.net

## Faré | VN: Уng-Vû Bân   | Join the TUNES project!  http://www.tunes.org/ ##
## FR: François-René Rideau |    TUNES is a Useful, Not Expedient System     ##
## Reflection&Cybernethics  | Project for a Free Reflective Computing System ##
I do agree to pay for the *opportunity* to read a book or use a program;
I do not agree to pay for the *right* to do so.