Tunes OS review update

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel@lsi.usp.br
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 14:17:11 -0300

Tom Novelli wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 14, 1999 at 02:47:39PM +0200, Emmanuel Marty wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > This is just to announce that the OS review has been
> > updated; no major breakthrough in presentation, but new links,
> > a new "dead projects" section as an attempt not to pollute the
> > actually alive ones :), and a lot of new links.
>
> I like that.. you're net getting our hopes up about some OS, only to find
> it's dead. :)

I really liked this as well. This page is a wonderful resource
and I hope links to it get spread to all the more frequently
used reference pages.

"Merlin OS" is now called "Self/R", where the "R" is for "reflective".
The idea is that the language show be the most visible part in
the system, not the OS. I still use the name "Merlin" for the hardware,
however.

> > This will really need a database of sorts sometime..
> >
> > URL is obviously still http://www.tunes.org/Review/OSes.html
>
> Hey, I'll keep that in mind while I'm checking out *nix database systems.
> Now that I'm doing databases quite a bit at work, this looks easy.  Maybe we
> could use Postgresql with a CGI script for searching/browsing, with
> maintenance directly through Postgresql.
>
> Is a database really necessary though?  What can you do with one that you
> can't do without one?

"Database of sorts" can mean even some text formatted in columns
(like most Unix configuration files). Having something like that
would allows several views of the list to be presented, which is
certainly interesting. I was going to write an "OS table CGI" in
Python but haven't found the time yet. Since I am currently wrapping
up the stuff I started in 1983, you can be sure I'll get to this
eventually :-)

-- Jecel