Semantic-based linking

David Jeske jeske@home.chat.net
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 10:46:26 -0800

The idea of semantic based linking (IMO) is that we have something in
place which tries to understand the actual 'funtional item' a program
wanted to use based on more than just a name. It's true that one
simple 'machine oriented method' is to use a GUID. It's certainly a
simple solution.

However, in response to your quandry below, there is no 'infinite
recursion problem'. Consider two humans talking to eachother so that
one can ask for something the other has. They begin to converse, they
are either talking the same language or not. If they are talking the
same language, then one starts to describe the item he wants given his
vocabulary. The other is going to interpret those words in his own
way, and eventually produce some item. If it's not the right item, the
requester will elaborate using simpler vocabulary to describe exactly
what it is he wants. If they don't speak the same language, they might
resort to hand gestures, or one of them might go find a translator who
can relate their sentences to eachother.

In my opinion, this relates to computers in that we would have the
system try to understand some of the different ways in which a
function's purpose could be specified. Early on that might be a guid,
because it's simple and easy. However, later on, someone might come up
with a purpose specification language, or eventually, we might just
use english to specify what the function does. In any case, the system
is trying to map a semantic request with a provider, not just blindly
connecting two symbol names together.

--
David Jeske (N9LCA) + http://www.chat.net/~jeske/ + jeske@chat.net