Semantic-based linking

Tril dem@tunes.org
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 21:41:19 -0800 (PST)

On 3 Jan 1999, Laurent Martelli wrote:

> I fond this notion semantic-based linking very interesting. I've been
> thinking about the problem of equality of information that arises when
> two systems want to communicate. I think that the problem of equality
> of 'procedure' that you're talking about is just a special of the one
> of equality of information, because procedures and code are just data
> used by a machine that interprets them.

I don't know what you mean "equality" and I'm not sure what I said that
made you bring it up.

> But let's examine the semantic-based linking a litlle bit closer. The
> specification of the function is itself information that has to be
> transmitted between two instances of the system. If we apply the same
> principle for the transmition of the specifications, we should
> transmit an abstract representation of the specification, which itself
> is some pieces of information. Obviously, we need to stop the
> recursion sometime before the sun dies.

The principle in tunes is to have standards, but they are formed by
agreement of all parties (communities of users), not by us (system
designers).

> And I don't how to do this whithout having some guid somewhere. The
> protocole of communication between instances of the systems should
> specifiy some guids for some objects. And the objects that have a guid
> form the minimal system. And each instance of the system should have
> at least those objects so that they can communicate with each other.

Global unique IDs. I had to figure that one out.  I don't know if they
will be required or not. If they are, I hope they will remain hidden as
much as possible.  And that they can be changed without too much trouble.

> Well, this is my point of view, but if you have a better solution, I
> study it with great care.
>
> Otherwise, we need to specify of communication protocol so that any
> instances of the system care share information and communicate.

It doesn't seem too important right now, but when the time comes in my
opinion protocols should be invented on the fly to contain just the
information necessary.  Maybe a standard meta-protocol to decide on
special purpose protocols would work.

David Manifold <dem@tunes.org>
This message is placed in the public domain.