"Job" Opportunities

Alaric Williams alaric@alaric-williams.com
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:14:00 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Francois-Rene Rideau wrote:

> * Web master:
>  Your job will consist in integrating data input
>  from the Tunes collaboration channel into a usable web site.
>  Current TODOs include maintaining the pages better,
>  making them coherent, finding a web developer (see below).
>  Constraints: see below
>
> * Web developer:
>  to help the web master, you'll develop a database for the
>  Review page, the news page, the Glossary, etc.
>  Constraints:
>  1) operations should be reversible (=versioning), especially
>  since people of divergent opinions will concurrently modify things
>  2) should be eventually migratable to tunes.
>  Advice: either generate pages off-line from CVS'ed files
>  as is currently done, or use CL-HTTP for on-line data processing.

I may be able to have a part in the above, 'coz I have the expertise and
the hardware.
Don't knock PHP3 as a server side development language - it's a nice
Apache module. Server side scripts are nicer than offline stuff since you
can pull of neat tricks such as autodetecting browser types and spewing
out the correct HTML variant (suckish as it is that the browsers aren't
compatible...)

It's a poor language, but better than ASP or Cold Fusion!

> * Language developer:
>  your job will be to write an open compiler for a LISP family language,
>  that can be integrated into TUNES
>  Constraints:
>  1) should quickly be free of C code to allow RTCG on the bare hardware,
>   as well as easier code analysis.
>  2) should work on the bare hardware (retro, clementine, whatever)
>   as well as OTOP

Oh, I'd love to do that, but I won't have the time :-(

I have to work on my own ARGOT compiler anyways :-)

ABW

              They flutter behind you, your possible pasts;
          Some bright-eyed and crazy, some frightened and lost

                                         - Pink Floyd, The Final Cut