OS-Language hybrid. Pliant.

Tril dem@tunes.org
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 14:37:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Jerry Fass wrote:

> Greetings. :-)
>
> I have 2 points:
>
> 1) Question: I read somewhere on Tunes.org that TUNES was intended to
> combine OS and language, be an OS-Language hybrid, in one unified
> structure (reflective?). Is it still true that TUNES will combine OS and
> language, or has this changed in any way at all?

At the risk of being flamed, yes that's the intention.  We'll combine not
just OS concepts and language concepts, but any concepts that are related
but for some reason in computer science got arbitrarily separated.  The OS
and language are the same thing: A virtual machine.  In our system of
linked concepts, any concept that is linked in our thinking will be linked
in the system.

> 2) Suggestion: I see your programming languages Review Subproject lists
> Pliant (http://pliant.cams.ehess.fr/), but you say little about it. This
> looks like a very interesting reflective language, and it is advancing
> quickly. It might provide a good tool for TUNES.

Yup.  I looked at it a little, but I don't have time to make a full review
myself.  It would be good to put Pliant at the top of the list for "to do"
reviews in the Review project.  But we don't have any people volunteering
to do reviews, so I don't think we even have a list of which systems
should be reviewed first.  (Or is it the other way around???)

David Manifold <dem@tunes.org>
This message is placed in the public domain.