Persist or not persist : comment

btanksley@hifn.com btanksley@hifn.com
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:53:04 -0700

> From: Thomas M. Farrelly [mailto:tmfarrelly@hotmail.com]
> Subject: Persist or not persist : comment

> So, in a persistent system there is nothing such as "save",
> because you are
> _never_ operating on a copy of an object, _only_ real
> objects. Objects
> change if you change them and are permanent - they last as
> long as their
> context.

I agree.

At the same time, a 'Document' object would be expected to have a 'save'
method (perhaps "commit" would be a good name) which simply makes all the
changes official.  The user doesn't ever HAVE to hit that button marked
Save, but they certainly can.

Now, when you add in Udanax-style version management, the whole usefulness
of saving documents gets a little more doubtful.  I think Tunes should be
based primarily on Udanax algorithms (although probably not code).
Especially since they're unpatentable.

-Billy