Persistance

Alaric Williams alaric@alaric-williams.com
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 00:52:11 +0100 (BST)

On 27 Oct 1999, Laurent Martelli wrote:

> Yes. The question is which objects are considered to belong to root set
> of reachable objects. I think there's no satisfying unique answer to
> this question. If you say that references are automatically reachable,
> you have to explicitly take a reference on every object that you want
> to use in the future.

But if you didn't have a reference you couldn't use it anyway... you can
only ever refer to objects that you create in future or have a reference
to now!

ABW

	Almost three thousand years ago, I was on the comittee
	who designed Christianity... but it took us nine hundred
	years to get it past the risk assessment subcomittee :-(