Database Theory Links

Kyle Lahnakoski kyle@arcavia.com
Sat, 01 Apr 2000 21:31:01 -0500

Massimo Dentico wrote:

> - ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/hb/hbaker/letters/CACM-RelationalDatabases.html
>
> In my experience he is right. However, even OODBMS are not the ultimate
> solution, at least in the current state.

I will agree that no all data can be effectively represented in a
database.  I found the theory excellent starting point for defining,
what I call, "set operations".  There are currently * basic DB operators
(depending on who you talk to) select, filter, join, aggregation, union,
intersection, difference, and cartesian product.  I am trying to write a
document on a ninth DB operator: the "Self Join"; it will complete much
of DB theory's shortcomings (but still not a holy grail).

Kyle Lahnakoski                                  Arcavia Software Ltd.
(416) 892-7784                                 http://www.arcavia.com