om

Francois-Rene Rideau fare@tunes.org
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 21:11:43 +0100

Alan Grimes wrote: [A confused rant about Goedel numbers and their meaning,
following a night of reading Hofstadter under the influence of drugs]

Also by Hofstadter, I recommend the post-scriptum of Chapter 17 of
"Metamagical Themas" (as well as the whole great book), for more insight
on Gödel numbering.

On the issue of the morphisms that allow to express a meaning context
into another, I suggest chapter 23 of said book (also featured in
"The Mind's I" by Hofstadter&Dennett), where it appears that the
intrinsic _complexity_ of the morphism (say, Kolmogorov complexity)
_does_ matter. Which is where your rant breaks, because you fail
to consider this complexity (if you do, everything falls into place,
and there's nothing to rant about anymore).

As for the practical part of your message, that is, building a reflective
system that is designed to metaprogram systems in general and itself in
particular, yes, this is what TUNES is (or should be) about.

Regards,

[ "Faré" | VN: Уng-Vû Bân | Join the TUNES project!   http://www.tunes.org/  ]
[ FR: François-René Rideau | TUNES is a Useful, Nevertheless Expedient System ]
[ Reflection&Cybernethics  | Project for  a Free Reflective  Computing System ]
A new poll indicates that if the presidential election were held tomorrow
nobody would vote, because they think the election is in November."
	-- Dennis Miller