Lambda (was: Refactoring in Tunes)

Stig Erik Sandoe stig@ii.uib.no
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 19:45:05 +0100 (MET)

On 20 Jan 2000, Laurent Martelli wrote:

> In fact, I think we should have an infinity of languages, which are in
> fact all built on one language. But having *two* languages (HLL and
> LLL) seems silly to me. One or an infinity, but not two.

This depends on whether the LLL is programmable or not.  Given the
unlikely case that something C-like is chosen as LLL, a HLL is
needed because C-like languages are cumbersome, verbose and it is
almost impossible to extend the languages with better suited
language constructs.  If Lisp or another programmable programming
language is chosen as LLL, the same need for a strict separation
isn't needed because they're naturally extendable to a HLL.

(imho of course :-)

Stig Erik Sandoe     stig@ii.uib.no    http://www.ii.uib.no/~stig/