fuzzyness....

Tom Novelli tcn@tunes.org
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 16:21:29 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Alan Grimes wrote:

> Okayzers, If it is VM we are implementing... Then pleaze teeel me h0w this
> thing will be implemnted... I can think of 3 ways of making a VM...
>
> Just interprit the k0d3
>
> Use an intermidate bytecode to eliminate the time it takes for the compiler to
> 'lex' the language...

Rather than something as dubious as Java bytecode, you could use syntax
trees or tokenized "Forth" code.  Either of those could be interpreted
sorta quickly, or compiled to machine code on demand.

> Ask questions first then compile it. (where linux asks questions after it
> crashes; windoze is too stupid to ask; it just bluescreens. =P
>
> Quite concievably we could implement the same programming model in each of
> those but at the moment we can slide by just by interpriting it, and then over
> time convert it to a full compiler... =\ or maintain several degrees of
> tunyness?

I second the motion :)  Well, sort of.  I say, compile it... but don't
worry about an intermediate format for distribution.  Just compress the
source code.  Besides, if the language is any good it'll be concise and it
won't require too many comments either, and the code will be small.

Tom Novelli