Linear namespaces, monads, and Slate

Brian Rice water@tscnet.com
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 23:28:13 -0700

To Tunes members and Slate listeners all,

I searched the mailing lists and couldn't find any clear references to this
paper, so I thought I should mention it here.

This paper in very extensive form outlines most of the potential benefits
of linear naming (related closely to the notions of linear typing and
linear logic). This is extremely close to the Slate philosophy of how
namespaces are available, but I'd also like to be able to keep such an
issue in Slate's MOP as much as possible. At any rate, the only differences
between Slate and the notions of this paper are extremely trivial (only
syntax and implementation-related), so this doesn't mean Yet Another shift
in the Slate paradigm. Instead, it should serve as an effective tool for
formalizing the Slate language, particularly the evaluation model that is
currently being resolved to a final extent. The results of this should also
extend into the meta-object system library.

Anyway, I'm just as impatient as you all to see this language get out of
the research stage and into implementation and testing and development, so
please be patient because I'm making sure that everyone is getting what
they need out of this (particularly Tunes HLL).

Thanks for the interest everyone,
~