languages

Francois-Rene Rideau fare@tunes.org
Fri, 26 May 2000 01:55:14 +0200

> You will be happy to know that Self uses immutable strings for literals.
Good.

> I agree. But I also note that we are using ugly hacks (mailing
> programs, OSes, protocols, etc...) to discuss the advantages of nice
> designs, which I find rather ironic.
:( :( :( :(

> Unless the programmer purposely tried to hide it (as in your example,
> which I note you changed to look more dangerous :-), the word EVAL is
> still likely to be present in the source.
Listen, instead of faking a declaration system with an ugly hack,
better propose a real declaration system.
Actually, that's what DEFSYSTEM is about, although it's not standardized:
declaring how to extract a standalone application
from a collection of LISP source files.
Problem is, DEFSYSTEM is not a modular solution;
but CommonLISP has little standard support for modularity
(packages are better than nothing, but are no well-encapsulated modules).

> That should be easy to fix as long as you are note worried about
> standards.
Indeed.

Now, back to work (?)

Always remember that you are unique.  Just like everyone else.