Emergence of behavior through software

Alan Grimes alangrimes@starpower.net
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 23:34:38 -0400

> From my perspective we have two basic questions. One, is "true" AI
> possible with software (following Turing computational rules) and
> a host computer (following von Neumann Architecture)?

I am approaching agreement with the Lynn, No.
Over the next few weeks I will post a series of questions to this list
regarding things I am studying to assist me in my understanding and
eventually present an argument that will support it more solidly than the
somewhat emotional and hand-waving claims that Lynn made.
After that I will take over the project and start off in a new direction to
build the machine that will most elegantly and effectively complement the
natural intelligence that we all have been granted, and lay a solid
foundation for future technologies such as neural interfaces that will
allow the brain to use the computer as easily as I move my fingers across
this keyboard. =)

My comment to Fare is that I recognise his role in founding this project
but as yet no code has been published, even in beta and in this game Code
is all that counts. Please notify me if you decide to b00t me for my
aditude in this post.

> Two, if possible, is it worth achieving?

Yes! I want to make it so.

--
In this year's presidential race you *do* have a choice!
VOTE Browne/Olivier The ticket to freedom!

####### Begin Eschelon Block #######
unibomber anthrax plutonium militia delta force ruby ridge atf batf waco
oklahoma city assault rifle sog sof m-16 clinton marx crack m-60 c5 c7
mlk panthers fbi chemical weapons twa 800 roswell terrorist freedom