Emergence of behavior through software

Lynn H. Maxson lmaxson@pacbell.net
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:59:34 -0700 (PDT)

Alan Grimes wrote:
"...After that I will take over the project and start off in a new
direction to build the machine that will most elegantly and
effectively complement the natural intelligence that we all have
been granted, and lay a solid foundation for future technologies
such as neural interfaces that will allow the brain to use the
computer as easily as I move my fingers across this keyboard."

I will do my best to suppress the emotion and hand-waving in this
response.  I do question why you would believe that you need
"true" AI and not just the "regular stuff" to achieve the same
ends.  There is a difference between complement, supplement, and
replacement.  You are talking of a development of an enhanced
tool.  I'm in favor of that.  I know nothing in rule-based
software systems, the only kind there is currently, that stands as
a barrier, a stopper, to such an effort.

To the best of my knowledge you use the brain in moving your
fingers over the keyboard now.  In truth you have what you want
now.:-)