it's pretty quiet here...

David Vennik dnvennik@yahoo.com.au
Mon Aug 13 00:05:02 2001

------=_NextPart_000_00F6_01C12419.FDD101C0

Oh well. Perhaps this isn't where the action is.

It has occurred to me recently that although I possess the basics of =
programming skills, I'm not all that interested in actually doing =
development.

If anyone wants a sensitive eye to double check anything at all, I'm =
more than happy to help in the way that I am most capable - picking up =
errors.

Well, someone's got to do it don't they?

If I may add a comment to the discussion though:

Something that would make money for you guys and would improve things =
for everyone would be a kind of command line interface that learns =
people's peculiar ways of saying things.=20

I've been reading a lot at www.useit.org and in particular the 'anti-mac =
interface' section gives some interesting ideas about what computers =
need to do to be better.

The one that stands out that I think might be relevant to this list is =
the idea of a simple text-based interface that allows you to do things =
that the interface doesn't - like for example changing all files with a =
particular regexp or location and filetype to a different application or =
something like that.

It's a lofty goal you've got in mind, and I'm sure that you will achieve =
it, but this website has barely changed in two years and really needs an =
injection of funds (I love you libertarians, but let's get real) so that =
it can actually become important to the rest of the world. Let's find a =
practical and financially valuable contribution that we can make?

If this email offends don't hesitate to flame me. I can take it. If the =
list managing person is offended, then do take me off the list. I'm not =
interested in causing a fracas unless one is due.

whatever a fracas is (mess, irritation - whatever)

Anyway, I love what you guys are doing, so keep it up.

Dave

------=_NextPart_000_00F6_01C12419.FDD101C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Oh well. Perhaps this isn't where the =
action=20
is.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It has occurred to me recently that =
although I=20
possess the basics of programming skills, I'm not all that interested in =

actually doing development.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If anyone wants a sensitive eye to =
double check=20
anything at all, I'm more than happy to help in the way that I am most =
capable -=20
picking up errors.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Well, someone's got to do it don't=20
they?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If I may add a comment to the =
discussion=20
though:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Something that would make money for you =
guys and=20
would improve things for everyone would be a kind of command line =
interface that=20
learns people's peculiar ways of saying things. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've been reading a lot at <A=20
href=3D"http://www.useit.org">www.useit.org</A> and in particular the =
'anti-mac=20
interface' section gives some interesting ideas about what computers =
need to do=20
to be better.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The one that stands out that I think =
might be=20
relevant to this list is the idea of a simple text-based interface that =
allows=20
you to do things that the interface doesn't - like for example changing =
all=20
files with a particular regexp or location and filetype to a different=20
application or something like that.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It's a lofty goal you've got in mind, =
and I'm sure=20
that you will achieve it, but this website has barely changed =
in&nbsp;two years=20
and really needs an injection of funds (I love you libertarians, but =
let's get=20
real) so that it can actually become <EM>important</EM> to the rest of =
the=20
world. Let's find a practical and financially valuable contribution that =
we can=20
make?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If this email offends don't hesitate to =
flame me. I=20
can take it. If the list managing person is offended, then do take me =
off the=20
list. I'm not interested in causing&nbsp;a fracas unless one is=20
due.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>whatever a fracas is (mess, irritation =
-=20
whatever)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Anyway, I love what you guys are doing, =
so keep it=20
up.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dave</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00F6_01C12419.FDD101C0--