TUNES website homepage draft

Brian Rice water@tunes.org
Mon Jul 2 22:22:01 2001

Well, folks, Tril and I had a discussion recently about the state and
purpose of the TUNES web site, and what could be done for it. Most
importantly, we decided that the progress of the last nearly 7 years
needs to be condensed and made understandable for people when they
learn of TUNES. In particular, we want to make sure that there is no
confusion for members and new people alike as to what we are about
and what we are NOT about.

So, to that end, we decided to put together some proposals for
re-organizing the site documentation, and especially the explanations
for the sub-projects we thought should be re-oriented for a clearer
explanation. In particular, we are looking for good thesis statements
and good exposition of ideas in ways that people will believe as well
as grasp in some constructive way.

I decided to modify my recent Arrow synopsis to reflect what TUNES is
centered around. What follows is a working draft, designed to replace
the TUNES front page content (which incidentally used to be the top
project page). So compare:
http://tunes.org/~water/tunesDraft.html
with:
http://tunes.org/tunes.html

and explain what's clear and what's not. (Make sure to quote from the
article so that we can all follow the original text.) Of course the
technologies I mention are not familiar to most people, but then most
people don't even understand what Lisp is all about. So instead, take
it as a teaser, and let me know how I could better present it.

Tril should be posting something of his own soon to contrast and
perhaps merge ideas once refined.

So, questions, comments, complaints?
Please respond publicly, since this is about TUNES.org's public face.
Especially the newbies' comments are welcome, since they are not
accustomed to the usual TUNES by-lines.

Thanks,
~