TUNES website homepage draft

Lendvai Attila attila.lendvai@brokat.com
Tue Jul 3 08:49:01 2001

:: I decided to modify my recent Arrow synopsis to reflect what
:: TUNES is
:: centered around. What follows is a working draft, designed
:: to replace
:: the TUNES front page content (which incidentally used to be the top
:: project page). So compare:
:: http://tunes.org/~water/tunesDraft.html
:: with:
:: http://tunes.org/tunes.html

just a quick note at first read (from a newbie, my picture might be blurred
at some places (!))

"Modern computer science research has yielded hundreds of meaningful
distinctions of possible programming semantics and syntax." ... and thus
different modells in which we can express computations and store
information. All these modells are restictive in different ways, most of
them from the roots (i.e. their requirements). Tunes promotes a very
different and much more flexible modell for handling information, even
replacing things like the smallest information atom, the 'bit', with a more
flexible one. Making an abstraction from the actual way current computers
work and building a different, less restrictive modell with applying several
modern computer science theories open up many new possibilities. (This
gained flexibility makes it possible for Tunes to look at current
programming languages from a higher level and "understand" them.
Understanding here means gathering the semantic meaning of the programs
written in current languages and storing it in an abstract way.)

another tought:

Computer science developed from the practical point of view. Up until recent
studies in the fields of CS it evolved step by step as new requiremets came
into the picture. First it was about calculating ballistic curves then many
different needs came one by one. But now it has reached a point where its
about general information processing and higher level things like making
computing systems understand concepts that currently only humans are capable
of. (examples?) Acheeving this requires a well tought modell designed with
the help of new CS theories instead of developing any of the current modells
further. Later in the process it gets clear for everyone that current
computing systems are deeply flawed.

it would be also good to warn every newcomer right at the beginning that
their head is probably full of defcato standards, like a program must be
compiled before its run and things like that. so there should be a short
"shocking" text about things like OOP without classes, the rescrictiveness
of the bitvector modell, the minimal abstraction between the way current
computers work and the computing modell of current systems. and that its a
fool thing connecting the two so tight, the only requiremet is that the
computing modell ought to be calculable (or handleable, damn my english) by
current and future computer hadrwares. and the lack of persistency.

"it supports a new unified system of understanding computations, data, and
formal linguistic expressions as first-class objects"

if someone reads it without background they will not understand a bit from
it. but on the other hand with some background it's a good sentence. and it
pops up a new idea, how about a  short intro like your proposal for people
with some background and another one with a more novel text like mine above
without things like "as first-class objects" or at least with some more
words on what it means.

thats all for now, i will reread my hungarian article which is layed off
since im working fulltime :( maybe that will help pointing out thigs that
must be first understood by newbies to see the point in tunes.

 - 101.