TUNES Manifesto [draft]

Billy Tanksley btanksley@hifn.com
Thu Jul 5 08:55:02 2001

From: Jason Marshall [mailto:jmarsh@serv.net]
>Tim Wilson wrote:

>>I believe whats hurting the computer industry the most are standards.

>What would you have in their place?  Closed protocols?

Standards are not always a problem; the problem is a use of standards for
standardization's own sake.  Consider all the people who use XML -- I had
someone want to use XML for a game's monster list.  The problem is that the
monster list isn't hierarchical; it's just a flat list of monsters with
capabilities.  We don't need a recursive descent parser.

One of the most outspoken opponents of standards-for-their-own-sake is Chuck
Moore, who invented Forth.  He says that communication standards are fine
(although usually too complicated), but runtime standards are a waste of
time which makes everyone's job harder.

>-Jason

-Billy