TUNES website homepage draft

Brian Rice water@tunes.org
Fri Jul 6 04:55:02 2001

At 9:21 AM +0200 7/6/01, Lendvai Attila wrote:
>:: Ah, random thoughts. You should look through the TUNES mail archives
>:: if you want to see some *truly* random direction. This is precisely
>:: the motivation for my homepage change proposals: to state up front
>:: and clearly exactly what TUNES is about, how we understand it to be
>:: possible in terms of existing ideas, and what is required to
>:: implement it. Any vague promises (like what we have now) will have
>:: every Tom who can code and thinks that the idea is "c00l" telling us
>:: exactly how we should do it. I'm saying that the home page right now
>:: makes us look like fools ourselves.
>
>well, i see your point. but i would definately miss all the good toughts and
>other stuff ive learned from tunes. and i definately didnt have the
>background to understand such a project descriprion. but i think that when
>the project bootstrapped and i can actually experience with it i can give
>much more help which will be needed then to go ahead.

And the front page would change *then* as better documents become
available to explain. However, this has no bearing on the present.
You (as an example) joined the list thinking you could help based on
the perceived incompetence of those trying to explain the ideas. I
want to alter that perception.

>i understand that its not yet that phase, but therell be such a phase once.
>and then well need good people.

Actually I think it will reach that phase much sooner than you think,
and this is one of my motivations for doing this. Additionally, I
want it to reach that phase, and I believe that "good" people who
know what they're talking about would at least be needed to help us
get some support, either financially or developmentally.

>but on the other hand a big hype would not do anything good to tunes in this
>phase.
>
>- 101.

This is not a big hype, this is a big ANTI-hype. I want to keep the
average Joe from joining this *developers* mailing list. This mailing
list has no other purpose than to help develop TUNES, and right now
there are perhaps 4 or 5 people total capable of doing that who have
said anything in the last year, and about 150 or so who are either
dead weight or don't say anything. Some are worse: some haven't
understood the project's nature for years and simply distract from
it. It doesn't matter worth a damn to me if 200 people here agree
with the philosophy but have no idea how to make it happen, until we
have proven the ideas to work.

Thanks for listening,
~