Update on my situation

Brian Rice water@tunes.org
Thu Jul 26 14:04:01 2001

Hi TUNESers,
It seems that the process of quitting my job has been delayed for about a
month or two, due to administrative resistance. This also means that I am
away from my normal home in Seattle for that amount of time. However, I
now have a lot of development materials and research together in the right
way to work on it much more extensively than I could on previous trips.

So at the moment I am working on updating my various papers, as well as
experimenting further with ideas on arrow and maude etc. The issues right
now are not the algorithms needed but the way in which to combine them
into a whole environment that supports arrow properly. There are a lot of
questions to answer dealing with various aspects of the semantics I want
included, but the basic algorithms have already been coded up, and there
is a toy SEXP evaluator that I am working with, but it's not worth
releasing to tell the truth.

I should have made some replies concerning Tril's recent posts, but to be
honest I'm not sure what to add or how to respond helpfully. I am not the
majority of TUNES developers, nor do I seem to be like you in my
development philosophy. So consider me to be taking Jim Little's advice
for the moment to keep Arrow distinct from TUNES as a development program.
Since they are so close in semantic nature, I won't fork the Arrow
notices to another mailing list. However, I'm probably not going to
mention TUNES when going for research funding unless it seems that they
would support the idea. (Incidentally, the preliminary presentations
seemed to get some approval, so there is promise in this.)

So for a while, I can't contribute really to the discussions here. Please
give Tril and Fare your best input to make TUNES what it should be.

Thanks,
~