Proper Arrow code release

Brian Rice water@tscnet.com
Fri Mar 23 09:15:02 2001

As promised, I fixed up the problems with the last set of code.
First, the halting when you load the code initially has been fixed,
and as well, I discovered that I hadn't handled the Mac to Unix text
formatting conversion properly, and fixed that as well. Some other
internal changes were made that are minor.

As of now, I'll be sending out code in this pre-packaged format which
most people should find very simple to deal with.

I will put together all of my arrow code releases into this directory:
http://www.tunes.org/~water/arrow until arrow.cx is back up and
running. (Or maybe arrow.tunes.org).

Within that directory, you have two options. First, the most
compatible option among Squeak variants is to take some 2.X version
of Squeak (2.9 or later if you don't have Weak collections filed
in.), and file in http://www.tunes.org/~water/arrow/ArrowLogic.13.cs
and then load as a file
http://www.tunes.org/~water/arrow/ArrowTests.text . The latter is not
used by Squeak itself; I merely used it to test some of my classes
and keep track of developments.

If you are new to Smalltalk or Squeak, then this latter approach will
help out, although it requires you to get the newest version of
Squeak. http://www.tunes.org/~water/arrow/Arrows.pr is a Squeak
Project. When you get a Squeak 3.1 installation (which I will explain
how to do), you can load this project from the file using the desktop
menu directly. Versions earlier than 3.1 do not handle projects
correctly, and so regrettably this means you have to get the latest
Squeak. (However, I believe that 3.1 is significantly better than
earlier versions for ease of use and clarity.) At any rate, to get
3.1, download the appropriate platform's files from:
ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.1_alpha/

This also requires you to get the Squeak 3.0 sources file at:
ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.0/files/SqueakV3.sources.gz

Unpack everything into a single directory and execute the VM so that
it picks the right image on its own.

The benefits of using the Project format is that it loads up a
desktop environment for Squeak which highlights various interesting
bits about Arrow code in the way that I happened to set it up. I have
more code to work on which will take a little time, but for now it
will be worthwhile to look through the documentation at the very
least for the code.

Please bring up any question, no matter how small. Note that the
primary Squeak site http://www.squeak.org is down. Use
http://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu instead. Also of course I am interested to
know what people think so far.

Thanks,