Arrow.alpha.cs question

RE01 Rice Brian T. EM2 BRice@vinson.navy.mil
Sun May 20 18:46:02 2001

> Hello,
>
>    I am still scrambling trying to learn Squeak.
> I have fileIn'd the .cs and browsed it. Now what?
>
> Regards,
>
> Vasili N Galchin

There are two options... The first I suggest is that you attempt to load the
Arrows Project file first, which is the file ending in ".pr". This loads the
previous changeset (".cs") and a desktop with some windows open on the code
in various views. If that works, then go and file in the new changeset,
which should directly over-write the old one and you should see updated code
views automatically.

The alternative is to learn how to do what the Project file tries to show
you how to do. There are several hot-keys that can be used to get around and
several browsers of note. Also, under the desktop help menu there is a
"command keys help" option that brings up lots of hotkeys to use. At any
rate, under Desktop/Open.../Browser or Package Browser, you get a class
browser. You should see the Arrow code at the very bottom of the list on the
left side. This is a multi-pane browser (the original actually), where you
can click down to get at classes, method categories, and individual methods.
Three buttons in the class pane allow you to look at instance-methods,
class-methods, and then additional things from "?". "?" brings up class
comments, class hierarchy, and some other view when clicked successively.
Also, you can open up a change-sorter or dual change sorter from the same
"Open..." menu, and you will see the "Arrows" or "Arrow logic" changeset,
along with the defined methods in various classes. The bottom pane has a
menu that allows you to see the changeset ReadMe.

One view I find most helpful is to hit "alt-h" or "alt-p" on a class to get
its inheritance hierarchy or total protocol view, respectively. In
particular, the hierarchy of ArrowStub and Reference are together the most
informative views of all the classes, which for what I released is 41 in
number. Once you start creating variables in workspaces ("a:= Arrow new" or
"b _ Arrow from: a to: Arrow new" or something. Make sure to select text and
"alt-d" to evaluate.), you can select their names and hit "alt-i" to inspect
or "alt-I" to explore. Alternatively, select code and hit "alt-d" to DoIt,
or "alt-p" to print the result (not as informative for arrows yet).

I hope that helps,
~