Final hurdle...

PB schizophonicNOSPAM@tiscali.it
Mon Oct 15 07:28:02 2001

> Most OSes are "Language Bound", writing in a creative language is
> usually several times more difficult due only to OS-level obsticles.

It is for this reason that lately much effort is on middleware
rather than on languages: While leveraging a well known
(and hopely well implemented) language you offer very high
level paradigms. This approach is advocated, e.g. in
Roman, Picco, Murphy "Software engineering for
mobility"
(http://www.elet.polimi.it/Users/DEI/Sections/Compeng/GianPietro.Picco/listp
ub.html)
which points out that Java, althought limited under many
aspects, has given a popular platform on which one can
experiment different mobility paradigms.
I think that on one side, leveraging existing languages
to implement higher level paradigms is a good thing, but
on the other side any language offers its own set of abstractions
so a mismatch is unavoidable, especially if we implement
very powerful abstraction with not much expressive
languages.
Anyway: making meet different OSes, languages,
libraries, middleware... abstractions is not an easy task.
I don't think there is *the* optimal solution for this kind of
problem. Many more or less standard abstractions are
enjoying a long-time success (process, thread, VM...),
but especially when you have to cope with standards
I feel that making cohexist different languages and
paradigms has to be done in an ad hoc way case by case.

Pietro