A question

Francois-Rene Rideau Francois-Rene Rideau <fare@tunes.org>
Mon Aug 26 08:54:01 2002

> We are about to write an online strategy game, and we are evaluating
> different architectures.
The decision will depend on a variety of factors, that you can't communicate
well over email, so you will only receive an approximate answer.

For distribution, don't forget to evaluate Erlang, JOCaml, OCaml with one
of its communication libraries, or maybe CL with one of its distributed
programming packages, or even the Tube. As for communicating with Java,
well, once you have a sensible wire protocol (and NO, XML isn't one),
you can implement it in any language. You can also just reuse the wire
protocol of your favorite language implementation, or use SEXP, ASN.1,
CORBA, etc. A reasonable thing to do seems to me to write a prototype
with only one application language, then when the protocol is reasonably
stabilized, interface Java or whatever to that language's implementation's
native wire protocol.

Be inconsistent -- but don't do it all the time.
	-- Unknown