The TUNES Wiki

Brian T Rice water@tunes.org
Mon Dec 30 23:23:02 2002

Hello all,

I've been working on a deployment of the Common Lisp Wiki "CLiki" (see
http://www.cliki.net), which can be reached on http://araneida.tunes.org
if your local DNS has cached this fact.

So far, I have personally moved over the entire Glossary and the Learning
Lounge, and I must say that CLiki's expressive capabilities definitely
made using a Wiki fairly pleasant.

As a simple example, topic-classification in CLiki has allowed
distinguishment of political terms from regular glossary terms, and for
those both to be indexed together under `all terms'.

Another example is that CLiki publishes its recent changes as an RDF
resource, which means those of you with news-aggregators will be able to
see changes happening in a relatively-live manner.

The main plan is that the "general background knowledge": the Glossary,
Reviews, and Tutorials of TUNES should all be there and cross-referencing
and easily-updated. Furthermore, CLiki and the Lisp webserver it is based
upon on are quite extensible, so there's easy room to grow to support
specialized things later on.

The question remaining for me is what to do with the original Wiki and its
contents now. Ideally, I would like to be able to shut it down and replace
it with the CLiki. However, there are a lot of essays which are
interesting, but owned by people who may not like things being moved
around.

Another possibility is to retain the essays on the Wiki, and make the
CLiki blend in to the rest of the site, as it handles about 80% of HTML
issues anyway.

I am particularly wondering about the authors of some of those essays
there. The longer essays almost need to be static html hosted either on
our site or linked to from our site in a special Essays section. In fact,
I may just do that with the CLiki. But I need to know some opinions first,
particularly from the authors of those essays.

So, what do you all think?

--
Brian T. Rice
LOGOS Research and Development