No Pointers?

Francois-Rene Rideau Francois-Rene Rideau <fare@tunes.org>
Wed Feb 27 08:41:03 2002

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 12:25:47AM -0500, Alan Grimes wrote:
> Hey, I was wondering if there were any useful/practical models of
> computation that don't use pointers, as they are understood today.
As far as I know, none of Turing Machines, the Lambda-Calculus,
the Pi-Calculus, Rewrite Logic, Graph Reduction, Abstract State Machines,
or any theoretical model of computation uses "pointers".
Only low-level languages like C or Pascal or FORTH resort to this thing.

Of course, in the _implementation_ of these models, you use pointers.
Pointers are to be used wherever there's a Von Neuman Architecture
computer where a processor accesses memory as a device mapping a bank
of memory addresses to storable contents.

And if pointers are too obvious to you when programming in LISP or ML,
then try programming in Brainfuck or in unlambda.

Long live consumership, which is individual and responsible choice!
Down with citizenship, which is collective and irresponsible choice!