insight from the unixconfig project
Thu Feb 28 09:06:02 2002
Hello. I suggest you all check out the unixconfig project
[unixconfig.sourceforge.net]. Persistant configuration is such a common
activity that this needs to be abstracted into the operating system.
What does this have to do with TUNES? TUNES, I think it has been said, will
be orthogonally persistant but with respect to configuration it would be
* Undo or revert the system to a previous state. It seems that this
requires the system to have few side effects.
* Provide an interface to applications for adding and removing
configuration in a standard way
* Provide a method of sharing and/or inheriting configurations.
* Transfer configurations between machines seamlessly
* Provide the user with an human interface for the configuration
* Perform error checking and validation of the configuration. If there
is an error with the configuration then alert the user and provide a method
to remedy the problem.
These are just a few ideas off the top of my head. I'm sure you all have
better ones. Just please don't say XML :)