TUNES digest, Vol 1 #225 - 1 msg

Pascal Bourguignon pjb@informatimago.com
Tue Jun 4 08:37:02 2002

> From: Cyril Hansen <shinjisfriend@netcourrier.com>
> [...]
> > I would love to see them implemented as a library for a
> >widely-used language, despite all we can say against these languages --
> >C++, maybe Java (which might really lack higher-order capabilities for
> >this), why not Python (I regard Perl as not OO enough).
> >
> The advantage of using a largely known language is that we could
> advertise the project more easily.
> A long term goal should be to become language independent, so my
> criteria for the language choice would very practical (what language do
> the contributors know best, etc..).
> Additionnaly, I would prefer to use a Free software platform (and Java
> is bad in this departement).

There is Kaffe.

But  I think  it would  be better  to try  to be  language independant
early.

What  about having something  like Objecteering  of Softeam  where you
model  the  programs in  a  high level  language,  and  have the  tool
generate the code, the documentation,  whatever, for you.  One can add
his own methods to generate code or modify the models automatically.

http://www.objecteering.com/
http://www.objecteering.com/us/pobj_pro.htm