Tunes Membership Policy

Massimo Dentico m.dentico@virgilio.it
Thu Feb 20 13:58:02 2003

Brian T Rice wrote:
> It's time to change this. See http://tunes.org/members/ and try to justify
> to anyone that we're not a load of crackpots, and watch how hard they
> laugh.
>
> For reference, see the Tunes charter:
>
> http://tunes.org/legalese/Charter.html
>
> Since no one is an actual member of any sub-projects, this document is
> largely irrelevant, but it's our stated policy. Furthermore, the only
> policy on admittance is that volunteers get what they want unless
> overruled.
>
> So, as de-facto coordinator of Tunes, I'll draft here a new policy of
> membership, thanks to suggestions from Massimo Dentico and a few others:

To be honest, mine was irritation before a suggestion.

See http://cliki.tunes.org:8000/Tunes%20FAQ

> 1) Members must be on the developers' main mailing list, and any number of
> other mailing lists hosted for the Tunes project. That makes this list,
> tunes@tunes.org, a defining criteria. If the list administrator
> garbage-collects the address of a member with no new address to substitute
> or a voluntary notification of absence, that member is expelled (at least
> noted inactive in our listing of members).
>
> 2) Members must have contributed something deemed helpful by a subproject
> coordinator. This can include a set of reviews, a documentation of a
> useful concept, or code which is accepted into Tunes repositories by one
> of the subproject coordinators.
>
> <end>
>
> These two principles together eliminate two-thirds of the Tunes membership
> list, and probably the correct proportion and partition of them as well.
>
> Are there any objections, additions, or other kinds of suggestions for me
> in this? If there's a contention, we'll just put it to a vote.

I agree with this policy and its implications to the point that I can repeat
here what I have written on CTO (see above the link to proposed new, delirious
Tunes FAQ):

   I could accept that my affiliation to this project comes withdrawn in
   the event is decided that only the members with an assessed background
   could be part of the project. No problem.

I can "retrocede" from member to contributor status if this is useful.
This because my assessment is that the project success is beneficial
for me, personally, beyond my direct involvement as member.

Regards.

--
Massimo Dentico