Tunes metadiscussion

Brian T Rice water@tunes.org
Tue Feb 25 11:44:01 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Francois-Rene Rideau wrote:

> Dear Tunesers,
>
> I'm a bit in a hurry, but I felt I had to pop in and say what follows.
> I'm sorry that the discussion be mostly active on non-technical topics.
>
> * I agree with Brian that Tunes per se should be focused
>  on the technical side of things, barring any political digression.
>  That's how it should be. Not untangling things at the start
>  was just haste/laziness from me at the beginning.
>  [Oh; and the word "Focused" sounds weird if you're like me reading
>  Vernor Vinge's great scifi novel "A deepness in the sky".]

Thanks for clearing this up.

> * That doesn't mean that I am dropping my other involvement,
>  or the fact that I envision Tunes as part of a bigger picture
>  -- and I am flattered and honored that many people here share this vision.
>  But that's also why I created the Cybernethics mailing-list some time ago,
>  so as not to pollute the Tunes project itself.
>  I propose that interested people should join the list.
>  [Is it easy to partition CLiki? If so, a Cybernethics cliki could be setup.]

I agree. About partitioning CLiki, we could run two separate CLiki
instances within the same Lisp application, but the pages would not be
sharable without some very strange editing semantics. Probably the
simplest thing that would work would be to make a Cybernethics node on the
CLiki and have that act as an "alternate" index to the Tunes CLiki, using
its own topics and indices. This would take less work in terms of dividing
up existing content and cross-site references. The disadvantage would be
in the recording of editing changes.

> * As for "membership":
>  = the Charter was meant to end all the discussion about
>   the decision process within the project. I think it does the job well.
>  = it seems that the meaning of "member" used by the "member" page
>   was misleading and harmed the project's image - this is now fixed, I hope,
>   without the need of formal red tape.

Okay.

> * There are many activities listed on the CLiki - check those that seem
>  most meaningful to you, and contact someone who knows as to how to help
>  -- or suggest your own activity, if you have any bright idea.

I recommend the same.

--
Brian T. Rice
LOGOS Research and Development