doubt about object oriented operating systems

James Michael DuPont mdupont777@yahoo.com
Fri Jan 17 02:51:01 2003

--- Brian T Rice <water@tunes.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 Smita.K@lntinfotech.com wrote:
>
> > what do you mean by object oriented operating systems? what is the
> basic
> > concept of object oriented operating systems? what are its
> advantages?
>
> Go troll somewhere else. If you have to ask this question, you are in
> the
> wrong place at the wrong time.

Hey, Simita.K,
Please excuse Brians tone. I dont think he means it personally.

I have often got onto his wrong side, but I dont think that he hates me
as a person, just stupid questions.

He is a really smart guy, but does have the time to answering newbie
questions.

You posed a good "newbie" question, but let me say, that tunes does not
like the term "OO", see the page :
http://cliki.tunes.org:8000/Object-Oriented

Check this out :
http://www.cs.arizona.edu/people/bridges/os/oop.html
Tunes is a project to replace existing Operating Systems, Languages,
and User Interfaces by a completely rethough Computing System, based on
a correctness-proof-secure higher-order reflective self-extensible
fine-grained distributed persistent fault-tolerant version-aware
decentralized (no-kernel) object system. We want to implement such a
system because we know all these are required for the computing
industry to compete fairly, which is not currently possible. Even if
Tunes itself does not become a world-wide OS, we hope the TUNES
experience can speed up the appearance of such an OS that would fulfill
our requirements.

the link is broken,
http://acacia.ens.fr:8080/home/rideau/Tunes/Project_Members.html

If you look at the tunes definition of OS :
http://cliki.tunes.org:8000/Operating%20System
In the TUNES project, the term for any common cultural background
between different computers.
In the false-hearted paradigm imposed by computer industry, an
arbitrarily delimited part of a computing system that only deals with
limited, first-order, low-level services while inducing severe
"context-switch" overhead for every single operation.

See the Operating Systems reviewed for examples.

I dont think that tunes like the term "OO"
so i would say lets look at the cliki for
Object
A unified term to manipulate computer abstractions. The name 'object'
is commonly used for that, although the first somewhat-unified frame to
manipulate computer abstractions, namely Lisp, used lists.
The Tunes perspective is that any 'thing' spoken of in a system counts
as an object; not merely those encoded in some particular way or
observing some particular properties of Being.

Beware the fake: it's also a fad to be "Object-Oriented"!

For example, when trying to "define" objects, some people say that an
object is something that "has a unique ID" (that is, can be
individually identified). Now what is a unique ID? In what space does
it live? This simply pushes other ideas of objects out to another
level. Identifying for the sake of being identifiable is of limited
value. Of course objects can be differentiated from each other, but
this should be done according to useful semantical differences. Just
saying "we consider objects" is enough and encompasses it.

So you can see that the idea of an object is important
to tunes, but they are questioning many of the preconceived ideas and
are breaking down the walls between the different software.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/