FPGA

Brian T Rice water@tunes.org
Mon Nov 10 09:37:01 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Mark Baily wrote:

> Just wondering whether Field Programmable Gate Arrays will have a place
> in the tunes project since they can be used to do specific operations in
> parallel and then reprogrammed to do another set of operations when
> required, which is really another way of saying metaprogramming.

Yes it fits; for example the Merlin or Self/R project
(http://merlintec.com) by a long-time member here consists of an
fpga-based platform.

However, this project's resources are currently very bare, so don't expect
anything that isn't contributed. Part of the fallout of this is that we
are not really focussed on producing systems software until we have all
the major ideas worked out and agreed upon (by a suitably competent
group). We're not endorsing any systems software specifically as or for
TUNES until that's done.

As for the metaprogramming comparison, be careful how you wield that term,
since there are many different forms of it.

--
Brian T. Rice
LOGOS Research and Development