Legacy code (formerly, A revolutionary OS/Programming Idea)

Lynn H. Maxson Lynn H. Maxson" <lmaxson@pacbell.net
Sat Oct 11 17:05:02 2003

Tom Novelli writes:
"So which was faster, relational or hierarchical?"

Hierarchical.

"...I guess that's the sad state of all manufacturing in the
information age..  They spend more money collecting and
analyzing *bogus* information than they  spend on actual
manufacturing.  Why do they always insist on entering
everything, even work-in-progress, into an inflexible central
database?..."

Well, I guess you have to read Plossl & Wight's "Production
and Inventory Control System".  It took awhile through two
generations of sytems and operating systems to bring it into
fruition with COPICS (Communication-Oriiented Production and
Inventory Control System).  To appreciate it you need really
to go back a decade or so to initial efforts on inventory
control, forecasting, and replenishment algorithms.

So I have no clue to what's going on in this instance of your
experience.  I do have a clue to the history and evolution of
inventory control systems from pre-punch card systems
(manual) to batch punch-card to batch computer to online
(transaction-based) systems.  I saw them in too many
different manufacturing and distribution accounts and stand as
witness the increase in productivity and efficiency that
ensued.

I guess it's possible to abuse a good thing after about twenty
years of getting it to a certain point.  For those who didn't
abuse it it was a real money saver.

"...I know you're working on a big project :)  I just wanted to
make a point.  These mailing lists are a big waste of time, so
let's wrap this up..."

It's not a big project, only one tool, one data
repository/directory, one language, one user interface.  If I
had to do two of anything, then it might grow to a "large"
project.<g>  I don't regard mailing lists and the challenges for
which they function as conduits as wastes of time.  We have
to have some means of evolving ideas against the broadest
base of differences.  I do agree, however, that for the
moment we need some time to digest the exchange of ideas.
I've enjoyed this interchange.