Legacy code (formerly, A revolutionary OS/Programming Idea)

John Newman jmn381@yahoo.com
Sun Oct 12 09:37:01 2003

--0-208577696-1065976613=:8028

Lynn wrote:

"I've enjoyed this interchange."

I have as well.  I think I benefited the most from this exchange, being that I knew the least.  Hopefully, one day, I will be able to contribute more.

Still, I will restate and conclude my topic.  I still think that a GUI based OS/IDE is the way to go.  I also think that most of the opposition I got to this idea derives from the issue confronting professional programmers concerning semantic complexity.  I think, personally, that a GUI with optionally forced order could help this problem, but, however, semantics isn't the problem I meant to bring to the table here, so others are mistaken to attack the idea on that level.

My whole intention in this proposition was to remedy my own problem, the novice's problem, concerning syntax.  One cannot even begin to perceive the semantics untill the syntax becomes, through understanding, transparent.  Therefore I advocate a syntax independent, or a syntax implicit scheme, through the use of a GUI, where nested functions are actually seen visually, as if they were boxes inside of boxes for instance.

I also feel some of you are a little biased, being that you have been writing code the same way for half your lives.  But my idea is for novices with only a simple understanding of the computer.  The most crucial programming will probably always be done in hard code.

But thank you, everyone, for a very educating interchange.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.

John

--0-208577696-1065976613=:8028

<DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<P>Lynn wrote:</P>
<P>"I've enjoyed this interchange."</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>I&nbsp;have as well.&nbsp; I think I benefited the most from this exchange, being that I knew the least.&nbsp; Hopefully, one day, I will be able to contribute more.</P>
<P>Still, I will restate and conclude my topic.&nbsp; I still think that a GUI based OS/IDE is the way to go.&nbsp; I also think that most of the opposition I got to this idea derives from the issue confronting professional programmers concerning semantic complexity.&nbsp; I think, personally, that a GUI with optionally forced order could help this problem, but, however, semantics isn't the problem I meant to bring to the table here, so others are mistaken to attack the idea on that level.<BR></P>
<P>My whole intention in this proposition&nbsp;was to remedy&nbsp;my own problem, the novice's problem, concerning syntax.&nbsp; One cannot even begin&nbsp;to perceive the semantics untill the syntax becomes, through understanding, transparent.&nbsp; Therefore I advocate a syntax independent, or a syntax implicit scheme, through the use of a GUI, where nested functions are actually seen visually, as if they were boxes inside of boxes for instance.</P>
<P>I also feel some of you are a little biased, being that you have been writing code the same way for half your lives.&nbsp; But my idea is for novices with only a simple understanding of the computer.&nbsp; The most crucial programming will probably always be done in hard code.</P>
<P>But thank you, everyone, for a very educating interchange.&nbsp; I thoroughly enjoyed it.</P>
<P>John</P></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-208577696-1065976613=:8028--