[TDP] On easy software deployment

Jeff Cutsinger jeff at cutsinger.org
Mon Apr 2 06:07:35 PDT 2007

Tom Novelli wrote:
> Hey Massimo,
>
> Have a good time wherever you're going... we can pick up on this the
> weekend after next.
>

>> > Might OCAML be a useful language...?
>>
>> Do you have any particular reason for choosing OCAML?
>>
>> I cannot go into details about programming languages
>> right now, I'm leaving. I think that we can continue
>> to use Python at least in this phase (fully hosted).
>
> Of course we'll stick with Python (and SQLite) for now.  Very good.  I
> feel better about proceeding with this CMS now that you and Fare (and
> presumably Armin) are on board.  I'll plan on testing it soon.
>
> Some of OCAML's strong points: (1) Native code compiler with speed
> approaching C, and (2) Static type checking catches more errors at
> compile-time.  It's also primarily a functional language, which has
> its pros and cons.
>
> Python is more accessible to more people, which is important.  PyLint,
> FastCGI, PARROT, PyPy, etc. could help to overcome some of Python's
> limitations.
>
> Tom

I recommend using WSGI[1]. That way you can freely switch between
CGI[2], FastCGI[3], mod_python[4], or whatever[5]. It's lightweight and
allows for the use of middleware[6], too. And it's included in python
2.5[7].

[1]: http://wsgi.org/wsgi
[2]: http://docs.python.org/lib/module-wsgiref.handlers.html
[3]: http://www.saddi.com/software/flup/
[4]: http://trac.pocoo.org/wiki/ModPyWsgi/
[5]: http://code.google.com/p/isapi-wsgi/
[6]: http://wsgi.org/wsgi/Middleware_and_Utilities
[7]: http://docs.python.org/lib/module-wsgiref.html

I would also recommend SQLAlchemy[8], but you may consider that
heavyweight. I consider it well worth it for decoupling the codebase
from one particular database (particularly SQLite), but what do I know.

[8]: http://www.sqlalchemy.org/

Finally, you might want to take a look at Genshi[9]. I think web
development is tricky enough that a powerful templating language is
warranted. Most people don't understand proper HTML quotation and those
who do make mistakes. Genshi helps a lot with that. As an alternative,
you might want to look at Brevé[10], which offers a lot of the benefits
of Genshi but is more lightweight and not XML-based (which I know will
appeal to TUNESers everywhere).

[9]: http://genshi.edgewall.org/
[10]: http://breve.twisty-industries.com/

I do too much web programming :(