Pile system (2nd wave Cybernethics)

Oleg Cherevko olwi at icyb.kiev.ua
Sat Jun 16 11:58:36 PDT 2007

Kyle Lahnakoski wrote:
> Oleg Cherevko wrote:
>> Faré wrote:
>>> I've been recently contacted by Peter Krieg from the Pile System
>>> www.pilesys.com
>>>
>>> TUNES is more like 1st wave and a half ("symbolic" stuff, but with
>>> humility on the results and faith in external evolution to make the
>>> system better). These guys are more like 2nd wave: faith that you can
>>> directly program a non-symbolic program that can then evolve
>>> internally.
>> Tanks for the useful reference.
>> Don't you think that the basic Pile building block (binary relation
>> from binary relations to binary relations) is strikingly similar to
>> what Brian Rice tried to do with his Arrow System?
>>
> ... or strikingly similar to most other relational systems?

No.
Perhaps I should clarify my terminology a bit.
A binary relation R is an association between elements of two sets S1
and S2. In fact, R is a set of some tuples (s1, s2) where s1 is taken
from S1 and s2 is taken from S2. Now, if we consider rather special case
of S1 == S2 == ST, where ST is a "set of tuples" and consists of the
very tuples that constitute the relation R we will get the main
reflexive structure behind Pile.

As far as I remember, this is similar to Brian's arrows that have other
arbitrary arrows as their endpoints (i.e. an arrow points from one arrow
to another arrow).

--
Olwi