Newbie

Tom Novelli tnovelli at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 07:29:07 PDT 2007

I'd like to finish up the CMS and the historical/static website content, so
if you can cover "current events" that'd be great.  Are you following any
projects or issues that might be of interest to us?

As for something concrete, we shouldn't underestimate the inspirational
power of a new proof-of-concept OS.  It's important not to take this too
seriously -- no name, no website, no long-winded formal specifications --
just a simple OS written in a simple language like Javascript (with the ECMA
static typing extension), with Garbage Collection and a Persistent Object
Store implemented at the OS level.  All high-level, no support for C,
Assembler, etc.  Drivers for VESA video, USB, ethernet/wireless,
TCP/IP/HTTP, and a simplistic XML/XHTML browser.  Fare seems to think it's
doable, and we could build upon Ian Piumarta's work...

The "right thing" would be to survey all the important/popular languages
(Lisp, Perl, Python, Ruby, Javascript, ML, Haskell...) and do a _thorough_
comparison of semantics & libraries (and how style & syntax are intertwined
with semantics), then suggest changes to better integrate and unify these
languages.  But I doubt anyone has the discipline to do that.

- Tom