[TDP] Alternative to mark-up languages

Tom Novelli tnovelli at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 19:58:44 PDT 2007

On 3/28/07, Massimo Dentico <m.dentico at virgilio.it> wrote:

> Hello Tunespeople.
>
> Tom, I will reply only in part to your e-mail. I lack enough
> sleep already.

Yeah, get some sleep... Don't read this until you wake up tomorrow --
I mean today -- at the crack of noon :-)

> > 4. Use an advanced decentralized RDBMS.
> > (Not SQL... Is this relational Python thing, Dee, more helpful?)
>
> wrt SQL-based DBMSs I do not exclude them /a priori/ as an expedient,
> and I haven't looked deeply into Dee, yet. These are options we
> need to consider.
>
> But I don't think of SQLite as a good option, at least /as is/.

>   CHECK constraints are supported as of version 3.3.0.
>   Prior to version 3.3.0, CHECK constraints were parsed
>   but not enforced.

The one huge advantage of SQLite is its simplicity.

To run my new CMS prototype on tunes.org, I just copied the directory
from my home machine to my account there, downloaded Sqlite 3.3.13 and
Python 2.5, and installed them in ~/bin.  No other dependencies.  IT
JUST WORKS.

Do you know of any other DBMS like that?  I don't think MYSQL or
POSTGRESQL is right for us.

Tom