[unios] Re: Generic Design

Pieter Dumon Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 20:03:46 +0100 (MET)

From: Pieter Dumon <Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be>

> Yes, but Posix does not say that data files could possibly contain code to
> allow native manipulation of the data without having the original program, you
> can't do that with a generic file, as it is a static piece of data to be
> manipulated by a program... this was implied in the design.
It's much easier to provide with the files a program to handle the file
(object) and then we're in POSIX again. Whaty's the great thing about
POSIX /Unix ? You can make a chain of all very flexible, powerfull and
small utilities and let this operate on one or more files or other
resource how you want.(Pipes!)

> but I can't say it's just Posix with a different name...
I'm not saying it's POSIX, I'm saying it can be done more effectively,
more powerfully and more flexibly with POSIX. Add the power of X to
this...

 There are
> some critical differences, and advantages with this system, over Posix. Posix
> does not deal with objects, and methods, it has only files... Objects can
> perform complex interconnect hierarchies of data exchange, without special
> programs to do so.

They do need code to do so, only it's inside them and private to the file!

> That's why we have to think of new things... I do believe the idea presented
> was a step in the right direction towards finding a _NEW_ system. The only
> other system I have in mind is neural... and I sure as hell don't have the
> design experience or the proper knowledge to be able to implement or design
> such a system... But it would be another possibility.... :)  Maybe I will
> think more about it...

Neural systems are found to be rather unpowerfull on todays computers.

I'm not recommending to adopt POSIX or anything. But I still claim it's
the most powerfull OS "shell" (litteraly) we have. Win32 is nioce, but
not portable. But, indeed, POSIX could need some enhancements. I'll think
about this. The ease of Win32 is that the graphical UI is part of the API.

Pieter

 Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be

 http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~pdumon

 ICQ  : 12428974