[unios] Re: reading

Pieter Dumon Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 12:25:57 +0100 (MET)

From: Pieter Dumon <Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be>

> From: Pat Wendorf <beholder@ican.net>
>
> Fluke nestors sound like objects, but not quite...

Not quite indeed. But the system (so the nesters too) USE objects for the
representation of everything.

> There also is a lack of
> hardware abstraction in the main system, but I guess it's more of a new
> concept.

Not at all! The system is completely abstracted through the use of a
microkernel.

> But the scheduling model from the other document sounds
> interesting.  I notice a lot of our own ideas are mirrored elsewhere, but not
> exactly the same way, but very similar... and I can say that with certainty,
> because I've never read these documents :)
>
> Pieter:  Do you have any good documents on Posix? I'd like to read more on
> that standard.

Ahm ,  no . You can off course buy the posix specs (IEEE), but I don't
think that's interesting for now. If you can work with the Unix shells and
know what the Unix system calls are, understand the file model (including
pipes, device files etc),  I think you have a pretty good idea of what
POSIX is. POSIX tells what services ('system calls') an OS must provide,
how threads can be implemented and how the standard interface should
behave. It was made after Unix, but it merely describes the UNIX API's &
interface, it doesn't force one to use a certain kernel model. Or
higher-level UI (such as X).

Pieter

 Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be

 http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~pdumon