[unios] Re: Generic Design

Anders Petersson anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 17:27:02 +0100

From: Anders Petersson <anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se>

At 15:51 1998-12-11 , you wrote:
>From: Pieter Dumon <Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be>

>> >Do you recon that storage is a big part of the devices in a computer?
>>
>> The actual devices are objects. The space itself is not. That's what I
>> meant. I can't think of any good way to make the storage room into objects.
>?? why not ?
>
>> This should be better protected by limiting each user to a certain size of
>> storage or something.
>
>__Every__ OS limits the space users have on the system. (except for the
>stupid DOS/win9x). Off course this is something that must be implemented.

It need to be protected, but maybe not just by a static limit. Users might
have different space requirements at different times. Space could lay
unused on one user's account, while other users have their quotas filled up.
This is not a major issue, thou... The specific policies should not be a
design decision, this should be changable runtime. What we need to worry
about is that different policies are permitted by the design.

>> This was actually more of a loose thought. You're probably right that this
>> would be too slow. But I still think processing time has to be delegated in
>> a controlled way. One user can't take up all computer power if others don't
>> want him to.
>
>Off course not. A user cannot just give its own processes the maximum
>priority !
>
>When it comes to scheduling, we can just use the standard ones :
>Unix,WinNT,OS/2,... They all folow a very similar algorithm. And this is
>somethign that won't hurt generality and flexibility. You should have a
>look at the Linux scheduling algorithm. It's pretty small and efficient.
>Perhaps not as fine-tuned as some commercial Unices, but you can get it's
>code, off course.

I'm not very interested in general when it comes to specific
implementations... it's the overall design that feels important to *me*.
But we will need a good implementation.

binEng