[unios] Re: Comments on draft

Pieter Dumon Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:08:34 +0100 (MET)

From: Pieter Dumon <Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be>

> From: Anders Petersson <anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se>
>
> That's a good initiative you took, Pat. Just like what a group like ours
> need to keep going.

Think so too :-)

> I think we need a kernel, thou, even if small. Put it beside the low level
> drivers.

What I tried to point out is that you don't need a kernel as such. But
it's probably faster and more stable.

> I think you should point out that there can be several layers of objects
> before reaching the users. And mark the line between machine dependant code
> and machine independant code with a clearly visible line. It's a major
> point of our design-to-be.

This line should be as low as possible. Only the basic hardware managing
'modules' are machine-dependent and the drivers too.
If you look at Unix and NT, the real hardware-dependent part of the
'kernel' (in a broad sense), the hardware-dependent code is just some 5%
or so of the kernel code.

Pieter

 Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be

 http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~pdumon