[unios] Re: Networked GUI (was Posix and Networks)

Pat Wendorf beholder@ican.net
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:01:37 -0500

From: Pat Wendorf <beholder@ican.net>

> Yes, networking is important, in some cases very essential. Could you
> please mention the most important features you think a networked UI should
> implement?

1) Remote Dumb (graphical) Terminal Access

2) Server side processing (goes with #1, but not always thought of when using
smart terminals)

3) User Profiles (not new, but very important)

4) Multiple Desktops using the same or multiple servers (done in Unix, nice to
have)

5) Versatile Scripting/Automation language (necessary)

6) Machine Resource level security (more an OS thing, but I'd imagine locking out
a re-map of the supervisors terminal screen to stop external security threats)

7) Terminal Re-Map/Voyeur capability as training tool and snitch screen for bosses
(nasty, but possible)

8) Shared Program Use - multiple people working in the same program, on the same
data, live over a network.  (hard to implement but useful, "last entry" update
model)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, any more ideas would be
welcome.  Most of these ideas are mostly useful in an industrial (1,2,4,5,7) and
corporate (all) environments, however other than 5, I don't see anything that's
useful in a home environment, or possibly I'm so used to MS crap, that I don't
know any better :(
Someone find a home use for this stuff.

--
Pat Wendorf