[unios] Re: Generic design. More comments

Pat Wendorf beholder@ican.net
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 09:48:41 -0500

From: Pat Wendorf <beholder@ican.net>

> > 1) Flexible
> > 2) Stable/Reliable
> > 3) Secure
> > 4) Fast
> > 5) User Friendly
>
> What about 'Stable' on 1 ??
> Flexibility is something developpers want and power users,
> but home users and corporate users just want a system that doesn't crash,
> and the first ones do too.

Without flexibility as our #1 goal, the OS has no lasting value.  Stability
as a #2 means that we design the OS to be as flexible as possible, WHILE
making it Stable.  I agree that stability is very important, but I don't know
how we would focus on stability in the initial design.  Initially we need to
design it as flexible as possible.   Flexibility is not just a developer and
power user dream.  It is the home and corporate user that gets the benefits
of a flexible system because the developers and power users who set the
system up.  When I say flexibility, I mean, the base OS should do as little
as possible, while allowing everything else (UI, APPS) to be completely
flexible based on using
that simple background.

--
Pat Wendorf