[unios] Re: Generic design. More comments

Pieter Dumon Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 19:53:33 +0100 (MET)

From: Pieter Dumon <Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be>

> From: Pat Wendorf <beholder@ican.net>
>
> > > 1) Flexible
> > > 2) Stable/Reliable
> > > 3) Secure
> > > 4) Fast
> > > 5) User Friendly
> >
> > What about 'Stable' on 1 ??
> > Flexibility is something developpers want and power users,
> > but home users and corporate users just want a system that doesn't crash,
> > and the first ones do too.
>
> Without flexibility as our #1 goal, the OS has no lasting value.  Stability
> as a #2 means that we design the OS to be as flexible as possible, WHILE
> making it Stable.  I agree that stability is very important, but I don't know
> how we would focus on stability in the initial design.

That's true

> Initially we need to
> design it as flexible as possible.   Flexibility is not just a developer and
> power user dream.  It is the home and corporate user that gets the benefits
> of a flexible system because the developers and power users who set the
> system up.  When I say flexibility, I mean, the base OS should do as little
> as possible, while allowing everything else (UI, APPS) to be completely
> flexible based on using
> that simple background.

I don't think home user bother about being able to change the UI at
run-time, install a mew kernel without rebooting or switching drivers
without rebooting. 60% of the home users don't have any idea of what it
would be all about. They just want to play their games and print their
texts. Also, coporate users don't care about flexibility. When the
system runs once installed, it shouldn't be changed, and no new hardware
is added. But it must run, and that's their need.

 Pieter

 Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be

 http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~pdumon

 ICQ  : 12428974