[unios] Re: Generic design. More comments

Anders Petersson anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 22:42:40 +0100

From: Anders Petersson <anders.petersson@mbox320.swipnet.se>

At 19:53 1998-12-16 , you wrote:
>From: Pieter Dumon <Pieter.Dumon@rug.ac.be>
>
>> From: Pat Wendorf <beholder@ican.net>

>> Initially we need to
>> design it as flexible as possible.   Flexibility is not just a developer
and
>> power user dream.  It is the home and corporate user that gets the benefits
>> of a flexible system because the developers and power users who set the
>> system up.  When I say flexibility, I mean, the base OS should do as little
>> as possible, while allowing everything else (UI, APPS) to be completely
>> flexible based on using
>> that simple background.
>
>I don't think home user bother about being able to change the UI at
>run-time, install a mew kernel without rebooting or switching drivers
>without rebooting. 60% of the home users don't have any idea of what it
>would be all about. They just want to play their games and print their
>texts. Also, coporate users don't care about flexibility. When the
>system runs once installed, it shouldn't be changed, and no new hardware
>is added. But it must run, and that's their need.

Who need flexibility? Nobody need flexibility, as long as the system is
handcrafted for *him*!

The alternative? Flexibility.

'OS for everybody' is not just a nice slogan - something has to be done
about it too. I've changed my mind on this... I see much greater
possibilities now than before all this started. It might be possible.

binEng